February 9, 2012

Coco The Parisian Dresser

Special pieces call for special treatment.  
Each find is so unique, they each have their own personality in my opinion.  
It's one of the reasons I gain so much satisfaction from this job.   
Each project is a different challenge & piece of potential new art.

Coco Before 
 Coco needed a chalk paint makeover to bring out her original glam. 
 French Linen and Old White helped to lovingly restore this beautiful lady her curves, swirls and smoky sex appeal.  

She is definitely hot stuff now


 One drawer received some pretty peacock liner - shiny surprise

Original brass hardware all shined up and gorgeous again.  Just a touch of Rub n Buff in subtle swirls.
It's like lip gloss and jewelry for furniture

 Standing straighter and prouder once again.  She's ready for her new home.

After posting all these furniture makeovers, and looking at the beautiful results and new attitudes...
I am very motivated to make-over myself
I could use some sheen, lip gloss and jewelry too :-)

do what you love, love what you do

Paige

7 comments:

  1. Paige, your dresser is absolutely stunning! Love every little detail!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, and the color is beautiful, id love to feature it, please let me know if that would be ok with you,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you combine the two paints to create a new shade? or is this a two color process...I would love to achieve this shade on a sewing table I'm getting ready to do. It was stripped of years ago so I am working with the bare natural wood...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracy,
    I hope you have a chalk paint distributor near you. The Coco makeover was done with 3 different products that can add up. BUT, you will have neutral paint supplies that will go a looooong way after your sewing cabinet is finished.
    I did use LAYERS on this piece. I didn't really combine the paints. I layered them. I first painted on a light coat of Annie Sloan French Linen (which is kinda a khaki color), then dry brushed certain areas and highlights with A.S. Old White. It is a very 'arty' paint that allows you to play if you wish. There is also a lot of sanding and subtle distressing on Coco. Some of which i just rubbed off with a slighty damp sponge, then hit again with a dry brush. I honestly can't remember if i used a dark wax on Coco or not. I may have (just in certain places), but for a first project I wouldn't recommend investing in a dark wax. With Chalk Paint, you really must wax it for the finish to be nice to the touch, and it does enhance the look of the paint. Gives it a nice sheen!
    I HOPE this helps. I know its vague, but, honestly each piece and mood is so unique, it is just paint, and the great news is you can continue to layer, smooth, dry brush, sand, and 'play' until you get close to what you are shooting for ! French linen is a nice color. neutral and easy to use. OR, may i recommend Paris Grey. It is another great shade that I am sure you would use the entire quart, on lots of stuff :))

    Another way to get an aged, combined look is to put some of each on a plate for your second coat. dip your brush in each color for your second coat, and possibly thin it with a tiny bit of water. Makes for an interesting 2nd coat. Dry brushing and distressing helps to blend and cover a world of imperfections (or highlight them!)
    Good Luck and many blessings.

    ReplyDelete